December 21, 2004

Depressed Friend

While working on my script at 3am the other night, I received a phone call that I did not want to answer. But I was thinking, "3am? Who could it be?" Turns out it was a friend of mine that I haven't spoken to for a few months. I have known him since I was 5. He's about 8 years older than me and has been on disability since he was a kid.

He has some sort of depression. And I knew he was going to yell right when I knew it was him. I answered the phone and I was not able to put a word in except for hello. He gave this loooooooooong speech. Let me paraphrase his speech. "Hi. I know you're busy. I haven't spoken to you for a long time, I don't expect you to call. I know you since you were a kid, I knew your brothers. We were friends back when but we are not anymore. They have all moved on and got married. I have no friends. I don't expect you to call. I mean I know you are so busy with your life and great things happening to you. As for me, I don't have any friends. I just want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday. You have a nice life. I'll talk to you whenever. I know we are not friends anymore. We were never really friends. I know we used to talk and joke about things and had conversations. Etc."

It was like that but with more hate I guess. I can't really remember exactly what he said because I didn't really pay attention to it. Because I get phone calls like that from him at least 3 times a year. I'm used to it And I don't blame him. I know how he is and I know he has depression and has taken any medication that you can name. And he's one of those that gets upset when you don't call him. And starts thinking that you're not his friend. I've explained to him a few times and tried to help him. Try to have him overlook things and not think so deep. It's a long story,but I thought I'd share this with you so that you all know who I'm talking about when this happens again a few months from now.


After his speech, he was about to hang up without letting me say anything. But I said something. I forgot what I said, but I just started a conversation. And we just started talking about stuff like normal friends talk about. Anything from family problems, health, movies, music, neighbors, etc. And it was back to normal. In the end, I told him that I paid no attention to his long speech. He apologized for it, but I didn't care. I know how he is and I expected it. But I was happy that in the end, he felt better. And I told him that I expect him to yell at me again next time when he calls, which may be a few months from now. But he should see that it doesn't matter, because we ARE friends. And when we talk, things are just like the way it used to be. So, I hope he understood that. And I hope he slowly heals himself. He has been sheltered at home all his life by his mom. I am proud that he has been trying new things and working towards a new life. I hope that this will help cure his problem. We ended up talking on the phone for 3 hours and I got no work done and no sleep. But what I got was satisfaction that I was able to help someone.

In the end, I think if you have friends that you haven't spoken to for a long time or they don't call when they say they will call, don't be angry at them. And I'm sure they are not angry at you. True friends are the ones where you can see again a year later, and things are the same, like the way it used to be, with some exceptions. There is no grudge or anything. Society and a busy life can get in the way. But when there is time for you all to hang out again and chat, things are comfortable like before. It may not be the same, since there will be different stories, they may have picked up a few bad habits, but that person you first knew is still there. So, don't have a grudge, just enjoy the time you are able to share with your friends instead of wasting it by being angry.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://cvcbgrzg.com/eihs/mshu.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://unspjcch.com/iqpz/pffv.html]Cool site[/url]

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://cvcbgrzg.com/eihs/mshu.html | http://faxrccck.com/duvp/ltgi.html

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home